Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
By Amanda Turner MS, RD | December 21, 2016
Ingredients (Serves 8):
32 oz boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
2 cups chopped onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped celery
1 cup water
1/3 cup steak sauce
2 Tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup cider vinegar
1 tsp ketchup
2 tsp chili powder
8 Whole wheat hamburger buns
Side items (serves 1):
6 oz potato
Salt/pepper to taste
1 cup Brussels sprouts
1 tsp olive oil
1. Add olive oil into a medium sized skillet and place on medium heat. Add chopped onion to the skillet, cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add pork, cooked onions, celery, water, salt, steak sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, ketchup and chili powder to a slow cooker. Turn heat to low and cook for 8 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut Brussels sprouts in half, toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil and salt/pepper to taste, and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Increase oven temp to 450F.
5. Poke holes in potato, and wrap it in aluminum foil. Place directly on oven rack.
6. Bake potatoes for 50-60 minutes, turning every 20 minutes for even baking. Once cooked thoroughly, allow it to cool, then cut in half and season with salt/pepper or salsa.
7. Add pork to your hamburger bun and pair with a side of Brussels and your potato!
Nutrition per serving:
586 calories, 9g fat, 2g saturated fat, 95g carbohydrate, 15g dietary fiber, 13g sugar, 41g protein
Exchanges per serving:
4 lean protein, 4 starch/whole grains, 2 veggies, 1 fat