Easy Super Bowl Sunday Snacks!
By Amanda Turner MS, RD, CSSD
Superbowl 51 is almost here! Do you have your menu planned for the big day? Here are a few of my favorite snack ideas for the big game that are delicious and can help you balance favorite tastes (I.e. cheese) with healthy fare.
Bruschetta and whole grain crackers
- 2lb heirloom tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Ricotta cheese-optional
- Whole grain crackers (try Triscuits, 365, or brown rice crackers for gluten free)
In a large bowl, add tomatoes, basic, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Combine and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes. Top your cracker with 1 tsp ricotta (optional) with tomato mix on top. Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- ½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 4oz lowfat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- ½ cup hot sauce
- 1 lb baked chicken, diced (fresh or canned)
Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan. Heat on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly. This is great served with chopped veggies like celery, carrots, cucumber, broccoli and cauliflower. The veggies are a great vessel to enjoy the creamy, cheesy dip, and they also help you feel more full than a cracker to avoid overeating.
- 10 baked tortilla chips
- 4oz baked chicken, diced
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- ¼ cup canned, no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup guacamole—optional
- Chopped green onion to top—optional
Place all toppings on top of tortilla chips. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
“Fried” Chicken Tenders
- 1lb chicken breast
- 1 cup egg whites (about 6 whites)
- 2 cups crushed corn flakes
Preheat oven to 350F. Cut chicken into 1-2” wide strips. Dredge in egg whites then corn flakes, and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F.
Grilled fruit skewers
- Pineapple, diced
- Apples, diced
- Peaches, halved
- Honeydew melon, diced
- Cantaloupe, diced
Cut fruit into large 2-3” squares or segments. Thread fruit alternatively onto skewers. Place on hot grill until caramelized (2-3 minutes), turn, and caramelize the opposite side.
Superbowl is often full of alcoholic beverages. If you choose to imbibe for the game, here are a few ways to moderate and feel great the next day:
- Choose to moderate liquor portions to 1.5oz in your drink.
- Alternate between an alcoholic beverage and a non-alcoholic beverage.
- Choose sugar-free mixers: soda water, sparkling flavored waters (like La Croix or Dasani Sparkling), diet soda/diet tonic, or Crystal Light/Mio type of water enhancers.
- Avoid high-sugar mixers: regular sodas, juices/juice drinks, regular tonic, Gatorade, or simple syrups.
- Choose light beers or drink heavier, microbrews in moderation. Microbrews can have as much alcohol as a glass of wine!
- Serve 5oz pours of wine to moderate.