Cauliflower, Sweet Potato, Zucchini Crust Pizza
This recipe is fantastic for active adults who are trying to drop a few pounds. Typical pizza recipes when dining out are easily 250 (for cracker thin crust) to 600 calories per slice! This one comes in just over 100 calories per 1/8th of the pizza, so you can enjoy a bit larger portion without as much caloric value! And you’ll get a great portion of veggies for your day just from the crust.
¾ head of cauliflower
½ large sweet potato
½ cup of shredded cheese
¼ cup flour of choice
Tomato basil sauce to taste
½ green bell pepper
½ orange bell pepper
1 link of turkey or vegan sausage
Basil seasoning to taste (optional)
Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
Sprinkle cheese of choice on top
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a food processor, shred the sweet potato and then add in the zucchini and cauliflower (keep food processor on until finely ground).
3. Put finely ground vegetables in a bowl and then into the microwave for 5 minutes.
4. Let the ground vegetables cool and then put into a cheese cloth to ring out the liquid.
5. Once the liquid is removed from the vegetables, put the vegetables into a bowl and add the cheese, egg, and flour. Mix ingredients together.
6. Put parchment paper onto a pizza stone/circular pan/or any pan, spread the crust out on the parchment paper until about ¼ - ½ inch thick.
7. Cut up toppings and put onto another pan and bake for 10-12 minutes while crust is in oven
8. Put pan in oven and back on one side for 15 minutes (for crispier crust, use another pan and cover it with parchment paper. Put this pan on top of the crust and flip it over onto the new pan. Put in oven for 10 minutes.).
9. Remove the toppings and crust from the oven.
10. Put sauce, toppings and cheese on the crust.
11. Put pizza in oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving Size 1/4th pizza: 225 calories, 11g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 248mg potassium, 16g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar, 15g protein
1 starch, 1 fat, 2 lean protein, 2 veggies